Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Facts on Immigrating Legally

A lot of people don't realize how extremely difficult it really is to come to the United States legally. I hear all the time "my grandparents came here legally why don't they...." and the infamous "get in the back of the line". Let's get one thing clear first, as immigration policy stands today there is virtually no process for unskilled immigrants without relations to the US to apply for legal permanent residence. Nor, are the immigration policies the same as they were 20+ years ago. To be more exact, after 9/11 terror attacks the government has pretty much made it impossible for an average person to reside here legally. Many people just don't know these types of facts.

Just recently on a news forum someone stated it only takes 4 years to come here legally. When I asked on which visa I got no reply but more derogative comments on the issue. After I started shooting out facts on the news forum no one seemed to have anything else to say. No surprise! Later on that day I received a message from a complete stranger who read the information I provided on the forum. In his message he stated the following:

"I think you must be a very level headed person, there is likely more to this entire immigration thing than the news reports"

He also admitted that he didn't realize how long and how impossible it was to receive a visa. He thought people wouldn't come here legally because it was a "financial thing". Of course I had to correct him on that as well. :)

It doesn't surprise me that his knowledge of the immigration system was little. I used to be one of them. I didn't know anything about it until I actually had to go through it with my husband.

People who are not knowledgeable on the US immigration policies are telling other people, who also don't know anything either, false information. It's a rapidly growing issue that causes xenophobia in our country. It's easier for people to fear and hate than figure out a real solution to the problem.

The immigration process is very complex and hard to really understand. The closest thing I have found that gives you a glimpse into how it sort of works is the below cartoon illustration. Yes, though it may be a cartoon illustration it gives some honest facts on immigration. So enjoy this illustration and pass on to those who dont have a clue! ;)

Click on the picture to see the actual pdf file so that you can adjust the size so that you are able to read the writing in the picture.

1 comment: